Why are we feeling guilty all the time? Guilty about the things we have done, the things we have said, the things we have forgotten, the things we have eaten and so on… the list has no end. Feeling guilty keeps us in the past and lets us hope for a „better“ future, where we can stick to the expectations that we have concerning our own behavior. But to fight against ourselves all the time only creates a vicious cycle of negative thoughts that manifest thought patterns and lets us see only the negative things we have done in our lives. The author Lena Malmgren expressed in her reversed confession how guilt makes us feel and there is only one thing we can do: To be honest about our feelings, to forgive ourselves and to initiate self-love.
Holly Michelle Eckert describes in her book „Graduating From Guilt: Six Steps to Overcome Guilt and Reclaim Your Life“ how you can deal with the sense of guilt:
- Identify the guilt
- Why do you feel guilty?
- Name the „shoulds“
- What should or shouldn’t you have done?
- Connect with the unmet needs
- Which of your needs were not met?
- Experience the feelings of the unmet needs
- Listen to your feelings
- Understand the motives
- Which need did you try to fulfill?
- Review progresses and express a request:
- How do you feel now? Which action could you ask yourself for?